HEVC (full name: High Efficiency Video Coding), also known as H.265 successor to H.264, turns to be the trending video compressor standard attributing to its better compression at the same level of quality, which equals to improved quality at the same bit rate. Nowadays, HEVC has been used in many aspects of digital world, such as online streaming services (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon), blu-ray, digital cameras, mobile devices and so on, for supporting and presenting UHD 4K/8K video content.
Actually, HEVC encoding is a necessity for making a 4K or 8K video. What is HEVC encoding?
We should learn something about video encoding at first. In short, video encoding is to compress a video by eliminating spatial and temporal redundancy of frames, encoding similarities and only storing differences between frames. Through this process, the video data which is presented as a series of frames, can be reduced in a smaller size. If HEVC is used as compression standard during video encoding, we can take this process as HEVC encoding.
How to Encode to HEVC Video?
HEVC encoder is a good helper leading us to encode a HEVC video with high quality but small size. In the following, I will show how to use 2 tools, HandBrake and WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe to output a video encoded with HEVC.
HEVC Encoding via HandBrake
HandBrake is an open-source multiplatform transcoder available to convert DVD/video to MKV and MP4 format. It builds in x265 codec making a reality to encode a file to HEVC video.
Steps as below:
1. Download HandBrake: https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php. After getting handbrake.exe file, double click it to install HandBrake on your computer.
2. Open HandBrake and click File/Open a single video file option to add source file you want to encode to HEVC video.
3. After the source video is loaded, move to Presets panel on right of the interface. Select any H.265 preset under Matroska category. The output setting (MKV by default) and parameters are will be auto set according to the chosen preset.
Also, you can select MP4 as container format and change video codec as H.265 (x265) under Video parameter tab to create a MP4 video encoded with HEVC.
4. Now, browse to set a destination for saving HEVC video and give a title for it.
5. Click Start Encode button to encode the original video for encoding to HEVC file.
HEVC Encoding via WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is another recommended tool for HEVC encoding. It specializes in encoding and decoding HD/UHD (4K/8K) videos. Compared to more technical HandBrake, this WinX Video Converter is suitable for all levels of users – from beginners to veteran. Apart from using HEVC codec for video encoding, it is equipped with High Quality Engine to optimize video/audio quality of resulting HEVC video and Hardware Encoder, Multi-core CPU utility to accelerate conversion speed.
Steps as Below:
1. Download WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe:
https://www.winxdvd.com/download/winx-hd-converter-deluxe.exe (from Windows)
https://www.winxdvd.com/download/winx-hd-video-converter-for-mac.dmg (for Mac)
2. After it is installed on your computer, launch it. Click +Video button to import the source video file.
3. Once the video is loaded, Output Profile window appears. Find PC General Video under Common Video Profile category. Click it and select HEVC Video as output format.
4. Browse to set destination folder and click RUN button to start HEVC encoding.
1. Advanced users can freely customize video and audio parameters to reach a desired effect for better playback on different devices or other purposes.
2. This WinX HEVC encoder provides basic editing tools help users crop/trim video, add external subtitle and merge videos into one for HEVC encoding.